Warhammer: I really do love it
February 16, 2010 6 Comments
A post over at Kill that Cheerleader made me realize something: I really do love Warhammer. Despite some of the mistakes they’ve made, this is a GREAT game.
- It runs amazingly well on my computer that is just as old as the game, with a sub-par video card.
- I run max affects, and FRAPS to the same hard drive in big fights and still walk away with 10+ FPS.
- I virtually never CTD (once every two weeks or so).
- Game errors are rare.
- Bugs are becoming less and less.
- Loading times are quick.
- The PvP is balanced and fun.
- Some classes need attention.
- Overall realm balance is spot-on.
- Almost any type of PvP-play desired can be found
- Scenarios are the shining jewels of WAR.
- Even stage 1 of a city is enjoyable when there is competition.
- The leveling is easy for new players.
- LotD is a GREAT grind spot for quick leveling.
- Ganking in LotD is huge fun
- Once you hit 40, how you play is up to you, but the goal is still to smash faces.
- You don’t have to swap BFOs and Keeps
- You don’t have to do just scenarios
- You don’t have to do just dungeons
- All paths of WAR are for the purpose of PvP
- Super Casual
- It’s easy to hop on for 30-45 minutes and do something
- Gear is not a huge determiner once you get into Annihilator
- Getting gear is STILL easier than in any other game
- Weapon progression is about to be made possible through PvP means
- No huge emphasis on meta-gaming
- Money is not that important
- Crafting creates mostly disposable benefits
- Crafting is easy to do, ranks quickly, and materials come handily
Honestly, for the way that I want to play game right now, nothing could be better for me. I still get twitches to go back to EQ2 sometimes, and EVE really, really, REALLY pulls on the part of me that wants a true, full-world sandbox, but I don’t have the time. Yes, Mythic makes some mistakes, but they’ve been better about fixing/correcting/addressing any that come up than any other company who’s game I’ve played for extended periods (SWG, EQ2, WoW). If you want a PvP game that’s just fun, and all about melting faces, and fighting the other guys in a constant Valhalla-like realm of combat and destruction, WAR is the game to play.